ARMY: Secondary Dependency Applications: Documents, Forms and Hints

Keep it current!

It is important to remember the status of all secondary dependents should be kept current with the office maintaining your claim.  If a secondary dependent dies, or their status changes, you should send the appropriate notification  to your service’s SDC office.

Not sure if you should apply?

Use our Secondary Dependency Pre-Screening tool to see if you might be eligible.

To be considered sufficiently dependent upon the member, the claimed dependent’s countable income must be less than 50 percent of his/her expenses, and the member’s contribution must exceed 50 percent of the dependent’s expenses. The law requires the individual to be “in fact” dependent on the member, so the member’s contribution must be more than one-half of the dependent’s actual monthly living expenses.

In the case of a deceased member, the application is submitted including proof that the individual was in fact dependent on the member at the time of the member’s death and for the preceding 12 months.

Get a list of documents and forms needed for your secondary dependency application. We've also made lists of Helpful Hints you can use to make sure the information you submit is complete and correct.

Required Documentation by Type of Claim

The following information will be needed as you complete your initial secondary dependency claim or prepare to file a redetermination package.

Verification of income: If claimed dependent is over the age of 62; or widowed and over the age of 60 and not receiving Social Security payments, we must have a copy of a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration.

Proof of support: If the claimed dependent DOES NOT reside in your household, one or more of the following are required as proof of support: 
  • AD  (discretionary) allotment for the claimed dependent or claimed dependent’s court-appointed custodian. A copy of your current LES includes this information. 
  • Cancelled checks (front & back) to the claimed dependent or claimed dependent’s court-appointed custodian.
  • Money order receipts to the claimed dependent or claimed dependent’s court-appointed custodian.
  • Electronic transfers made out to claimed dependent or claimed dependent’s court-appointed custodian.
  • Copies of bills paid on behalf of dependent may also be used along with proof of payment.
  • If your dependent does not reside with you but lives in a home owned/rented by you, a copy of mortgage statement or rental agreement may also be used.
NOTE: Joint checking accounts, cash contributions, or purchase receipts are NOT acceptable forms of proof of support.

BAH Dependency Redeterminations

Once your secondary dependency claim for BAH entitlement has been approved, you will be required to submit forms and documents to maintain the dependent status and eligibility. This MUST be done annually in order to continue your BAH payments uninterrupted.

You will be advised on this requirement when your initial claim or subsequent redetermination claims are submitted. Failure to submit a redetermination claim when required will cause a reduction in BAH entitlement and BAH will not be reinstated until a redetermination claim is submitted.

IMPORTANT: Should your secondary dependents’ status lapse and your BAH is stopped or reduced, you will not be authorized back payment of BAH for the period during which the individual(s) were not officially recognized as in a dependent status.

Page updated Jan. 27, 2015