Power of Attorney

Defense Finance
and Accounting Service
Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense


A Power of Attorney (POA) is a written authorization to act on another’s behalf regarding private affairs, business matters such as banking and real estate, and other matters as specified in the language of the POA.  The person authorizing the other to act is the principal or grantor.  For a POA to be valid, the principal must sign the POA and their signature must be notarized.  The person authorized to act on the principal’s behalf is the agent or attorney-in-fact.

DFAS accepts POA’s for use with the following areas:

  • Military Pay Customer Care Center
  • Retired and Annuity Pay Customer Care center
  • Travel Pay Customer Care Center

Power of Attorney’s can be submitted via the following methods:

  • All Military Members: Email to dfas.indianapolis-in.jjf.mbx.poaform@mail.mil.
    • Army/Air Force: Fax to (317) 275-0157
    • Army Travel Pay: Fax to  (317) 275-0358
  • Retired Military & Former Spouses: Fax to (800) 469-6559
  • Annuitants:  Fax to (800) 982-8459

When faxing or emailing POA’s, include the following items:

  • Power of Attorney with notarized signature
  • Photocopy of a government ID (i.e. Family member ID card, State driver’s license, Official State ID card)
  • Principal (Service member) status (active, reserve, national guard, or retired)
  • Principal (Service member) and agents contact information

Power of Attorney’s can be used to conduct the following actions:

  • Correspondence address changes
  • Issuing account statements
  • Issuing W2 or 1099R forms
  • Completing reports of existence
  • Completing and signing annuity applications
  • Obtain account information protected by the Privacy Act of 1974
  • Copy of Leave and Earning Statement (LES)

When calling as an agent or attorney-in-fact, ensure you have the POA, government ID you used when faxing or emailing, and the service member's status and contact information.

Unable to fax or email your POA?

If you are unable to fax or email the POA, go to one of the following locations and in the presence of an official party, contact the appropriate Customer Care Center.

  • Red Cross
  • Army Emergency Relief, Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, or Air Force Aid Society offices
  • Finance/Pay Office (Army Finance, Navy PSD, Air Force Finance, Reserve Center or National Guard Armory)

Updated June 24, 2015