DFAS accountants prepare, examine, analyze and interpret Department of Defense (DoD) financial data, records and standardized reports. They apply generally accepted accounting principles and advise management on a diverse collection of federal accounting and financial management matters.
- modifying information within federal financial accounting systems
- aiding in the design, development and inspection of those systems according to federal law and guidance
As an expert in accounting, you will have the opportunity to perform research, identify problem areas, determine actions to improve program effectiveness, and propose new procedures and methods.
Formal or on-the-job training is provided to gain knowledge of federal accounting and finance. You will also have the opportunity to pursue an advanced degree and these certifications:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA )
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA )
- DoD Financial Management Certification Program
Accounting Career Development Roadmap
Page updated August 11, 2015