Medical, Dental and Vision InsuranceThe Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program is designed to help protect you and eligible family members from the expenses of illness and accidents. Unlike many private sector health benefit plans, FEHB provides coverage without physical examination, places no restrictions on age or physical condition and offers a wide range of plans to choose from. Some plans also include dental and vision coverage. If dental or vision are not part of the plan you select, you can enroll in separate dental and/or vision insurance plans.
The Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP) is available to eligible federal employees, retirees and their eligible family members on an enrollee-pay-all basis. FEDVIP allows dental and vision insurance to be purchased on a group basis, which means there are competitive premiums and no pre-existing condition limitations. Premiums for enrolled federal employees are also withheld from your salary on a pre-tax basis.
You and DFAS share the cost of health insurance premiums. On average, for full-time employees, the government pays approximately 70 percent of the premium. In addition, your premiums may be deducted before taxes. For more information on health benefits, check out OPM's FEHB website.
High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) and Health Savings Accounts (HSA)As a DFAS employee, you are eligible to elect a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) and establish pre-tax allotments to a Health Savings Accounts (HSA). An HDHP with an HSA provides traditional medical coverage and a tax free way to help you build savings for future medical expenses. The HDHP/HSA or HRA gives you greater flexibility and discretion for how you use your health care benefits.
Federal Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFEDS)Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAFEDS) enable eligible employees to pay for certain medical and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
Life InsuranceThe Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) program provides group term life insurance. In most cases, basic life insurance coverage is effective on the first day you enter duty. Basic coverage is equal to the greater of (a) your annual basic pay rounded up to the next $1,000 plus $2,000 or (b) $10,000. You may waive Basic coverage at any time.
In addition to the Basic coverage, three forms of Optional insurance are available:
- Standard: You may select life insurance coverage of $10,000 or higher if your rate of annual basic pay exceeds the maximum amount of Basic coverage. This includes additional accidental death and dismemberment coverage up to the face amount of your coverage.
- Additional: You can choose additional life insurance coverage equal to one, two, three, four or five times your actual rate of annual basic pay, rounded up to the next highest thousand.
- Family: You may elect to provide coverage for your spouse and eligible dependent children. You may elect one, two, three, four or five multiples of coverage. Each multiple is equal to $5,000 for your spouse and $2,500 for each of your eligible dependent children.
Federal Long Term Care InsuranceThe Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program provides an important benefit to help pay long-term care expenses possibly incurred in the future. It offers comprehensive insurance to make payments toward long-term care including:
- nursing home care
- assisted living facility care
- formal and informal care in your home
- hospice care
- respite care and others
Page updated April 1, 2011