Defense Finance
and Accounting Service
Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense


Tax Documents

Each year we provide millions of tax statements, such as Form 1099-R, to our customers. Some arrive in the mail and others are downloaded from myPay accounts.

Did you know you have options for getting the information you need to prepare for the annual April tax deadline?

Options for getting your 1099-R or 1042-S

Use myPay

Get the information you need – day or night – using myPay 

If you’re not using myPay yet or you haven’t logged in for a while, here’s how to get into your myPay account 

Use our telephone self-service option

If you are not on myPay and your mailing address on file with DFAS is current, you can get a copy of your 1099R through our telephone self-service option. 

Use the quick and easy AskDFAS online option

If the address you have on file with DFAS is out of date and you are not a myPay user, you can get your 1099R sent to an updated address by submitting your request online at AskDFAS. You can request your 1099R be sent either to your current address or to a new address using an online form. Plus, you can request prior year 1099Rs. You will receive your 1099R in the mail in seven to ten business days.

Find instructions at:

Mail or fax your written request

If you prefer postal mail or fax, you can send us a written request, but please make sure you leave time for processing. It may take 30-60 days to process requests received by mail or fax. And remember to send your written request to our new mailing address

Find instructions at:

Speak with one of our customer care representatives

Members with unique situations can speak directly to one of our customer care representatives. Depending on call volume, you may have to wait on hold while we assist other customers. Keep in mind that tax season is our busiest period. For more information, check out:

Getting a 1042-S

If you receive a Form 1042-S instead of a Form 1099-R, call 800-321-1080 for assistance.

Other helpful tax-related information


Tax Levies and Debt Recoupments

Military retirees who owe federal taxes may be subject to a levy in order to pay an overdue tax bill. Military retirement payments are subject to the Federal Payment Levy Program through the Internal Revenue Service. Military retirement payments could be levied (reduced) by 15 percent through the Federal Payment Levy Program. The Federal Payment Levy Program only goes into effect if you have not paid your taxes on time or made arrangements to pay your overdue tax bill. Before a levy is issued, you will receive an initial tax bill with information on what you owe and how to pay it.  You will also receive a final tax bill with information on what you owe, how to pay it, what can happen if you don’t pay and an explanation of your appeal rights. The IRS will not issue a levy if you pay what you owe, or make payment arrangements, within 30 days after the final billing notice is sent. The federal tax levy could remain in place until the debt is satisfied.

Please click here for more information from

In the case of garnishments, the collection action is mandatory and any rebuttal concerning the levy must be addressed to the IRS.

NOTE: Annuity payments are not subject to IRS tax levy collections.

Page updated February 14, 2018