Quick Tools

Forms Library

Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

Who to Contact for Pay or Benefit Questions

DFAS Retired and Annuitant (R&A) Pay

DFAS R&A Pay is primarily a payroll office. We establish and maintain military retired pay, annuity accounts, and issue monthly payments to both military retirees and their eligible survivors, including the following:

  • Regular and Reserve Retirement payments
  • Temporary and Permanent Disability Retirement payments
  • Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay
  • Combat-Related Special Compensation payments
  • Survivor Benefit Plan payments

​We have an extensive website with information on all of these topics at:

There is a new webpage on the Retired & Annuitant Pay website that lists the current typical processing time frames for R&A Pay actions. The webpage is under the “About R&A Pay” menu item on the www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary and is called “How Long Does It Take?”

There is also a range of frequently asked questions on our AskDFAS page, where you can also submit a question online, change a retiree mailing address, report the death of a retiree, and order a copy of your 1099-R:

If you need speak to a customer service representative, please call 800-321-1080 or 216-522-5955 Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time.

Department of Veterans Affairs

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides services to former members of the military, not just those who are retired from the military.

If you are disabled, the VA establishes your level of disability compensation, and handles any changes or updates. These include:

  • Additional (tax-free) benefit for veterans injured while in the service
  • Ratings for service-connected disability codes
  • Ratings for Special Monthly Compensation
  • Individual Unemployment ratings
  • Re-rating you if you feel your disability has increased

The VA also administers pensions, educational programs, home loans, life insurance, vocational rehabilitation, survivors’ benefits (such as Dependency and Indemnity Compensation-DIC), medical benefits and burial benefits.

If you have questions or concerns about any of these topics, please contact the VA at 800-827-1000 or visit their website at:

The VA Military & Veteran Crisis Line is available 24/7, call 800-273-8255, text 838255, or go to https://www.veterancrisisline.net

Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI)

Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI) is a VA program that allows you to continue life insurance coverage after you separate from service. If you have questions about this program, please contact them at:

Branches of Service

The Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force assist in the transition from active duty to retired life and make determinations for some entitlement programs, such as Combat-Related Special Compensation.

The branches issue your retirement orders. Remember, you MUST have retirement orders from your branch of service before we can establish your military retired pay account.

Please contact your Branch of Service for assistance with the following items:

  • CRSC eligibility determinations
  • Applying for retirement or retirement eligibility
  • Retirement orders
  • Legal name changes
  • Assistance with making Survivor Benefit Plan decisions and changes



Air Force 




If you have questions about your TRICARE allotment or enrollment premium, please contact TRICARE. DFAS can only start, stop, or change a TRICARE allotment with direct instruction from TRICARE.

East Region (formerly North and South Regions):
Visit: http://www.tricare-east.com
Call: 1-800-444-5445

West Region:
Visit: http://www.tricare-west.com
Call: 1-844-866-WEST (9378)

The Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program - FEDVIP

If you enrolled in the FEDVIP dental and/or vision insurance program, BENEFEDS is the government-authorized and OPM-sponsored enrollment portal that eligible participants use to enroll in FEDVIP coverage. BENEFEDS.com is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and accessible via computer, cell phone, and tablet. If you have enrollment questions, and do not have access to the internet, please call the BENEFEDS Customer Service Center at 1-877-888-FEDS (1-877-888-3337) or TTY 1-877-889-5690, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. (ET).

Defense Enrollment Eligibility Report system (DEERS)

The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System is a way of verifying who is eligible to receive government-sponsored TRICARE medical benefits. You may also contact DEERS for questions related to ID cards:

800-538-9552 (East Coast)
800-334-4162 (West Coast)
800-527-5602 (Alaska and Hawaii)

AAFES exchange store

Contact the Army and Air Force Exchange Services (AAFES) for your Military Star Card and Exchange Credit Program questions:

Navy exchange store

Contact the Navy Exchange (NEX) for your Military Star Card and Exchange Credit Program questions:

National Personnel Records Center

The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records is the repository of military personnel, health, and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans of all services during the 20th century. Contact the National Personnel Records Center for a copy of your DD214.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Contact the IRS for tax related questions and to request a copy of a blank W-4 form.

Office of Personnel Management (OPM)

Contact the Office of Personnel Management for information regarding federal employee retirement information.

Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)

For information about your thrift savings plan account, please contact TSP at:

Page last updated on Dec 18, 2019