HomeRetiredMilitarynewseventsnewsletterTax Season Still Need Documents

Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET


Frequently Asked Questions

It’s Tax Season: Do You Still Need Tax Documents?


We have easy, convenient options to get your 1099-R without having to call and wait on hold to speak to someone! You read that right! If you have lost or misplaced your 1099-R, we offer a variety of convenient options to request a replacement.

We recommend you take advantage of myPay. A myPay account is your one-stop source for all of your most important retired or annuitant pay information, including your 1099-R.

Please note: if you prefer to have a replacement of your 1099-R mailed to you, you must make the request by March 31st to receive your 1099-R in time to file your tax return on April 15. Keep reading to see our list of options to request a 1099-R.      

Also note that current IRS guidelines state that IRS Forms 1095-B or 1095-C are NOT REQUIRED to file your tax return. For more information, see:  https://www.dfas.mil/taxes/aca

Get your 1099-R and pay information 24/7 in myPay

The fastest and most secure way to obtain a copy of your 1099R is through myPay. Retirees and annuitants can log into myPay, and print a 1099R from the comfort of their home. Instructions are at:  https://myPay.dfas.mil

If you’re not using myPay, now is a great time to get started. With the refresh this spring, myPay is now simpler, streamlined and more mobile-friendly. That means it’s easier to manage your pay account using the web browser on your computer or with a connected device, like your smartphone or tablet.

Another advantage of using myPay is that you can download or print your current year tax statement, as well as prior year 1099-Rs (up to four prior years for retirees and up to two prior years for annuitants).

While you’re in myPay, you can also easily check to make sure we have your correct mailing address and email address.

Additional ways to get your 1099-R

If you are not using myPay, we offer other convenient options to get or replace an IRS Form 1099-R.

Telephone Self-Service

For retirees, if your mailing address on file with DFAS is current, you can get a copy of your 1099-R through our telephone self-service option. To use telephone self-service:

  • Call 800-321-1080
  • Select option “1” for self-serve
  • Select option “1” for retiree
  • Select option “1”
  • Enter your Social Security Number when prompted

Your 1099-R should be in the mail within 7-10 business days to the address we have on record.


If the address you have on file with DFAS is out of date and you are not a myPay user, you (both retirees and annuitants) can get your 1099-R sent to a one-time, temporary mailing address, or to your mailing address on record by submitting your request online. Plus, you can request prior year 1099-Rs. You will receive your 1099-R in the mail in seven to ten business days. Find instructions at: https://go.usa.gov/xPh7H

Written Request

If you prefer traditional mail, you can send us a written request by fax or mail, but please make sure you leave time for processing. It can take up to 30 days to process requests received by fax or mail. Find instructions at:  https://go.usa.gov/xPh7M

Customer Care Center

Members with unique situations can speak directly to one of our customer care representatives. Depending on call volume, you may have to wait on hold while we assist other customers. For more information, check out: http://go.usa.gov/xPh7f

Correction of tax information on a 1099-R

Retirees or annuitants who need to correct the tax information on a 1099-R should submit a “request to audit a 1099-R” via mail or fax. Please make sure to note what tax year you are requesting to audit, and ensure you include your full name, daytime phone number, social security number and signature on your request. Please allow 30-60 days for a corrected 1099-R to be issued.

2020 IRS W-4 Forms

We are delayed in processing 2020 IRS Form W-4s because of the extensive system reprogramming required due to the considerable changes in the IRS Form W-4 for 2020 and the late date the final form was issued by the IRS.

Please note: You are not required to file a new Form W-4 unless you are claiming exemption from federal tax withholding. 

We are processing 2020 W-4s for those who claim exemption from withholding; this delay does not apply to those who submitted a W-4 to claim exemption from withholding. 

If you sent or send us a 2020 IRS Form W-4 (Employee’s Withholding Certificate) to change your federal tax withholding, we will process it as soon as the system reprogramming allows. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you need to change your federal tax withholding right now, you can do so using the previous tax year format in myPay: https://mypay.dfas.mil

If you have tax or withholding questions, we recommend you consult a tax professional or the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov. DFAS is unable to provide tax advice.

Page last updated on March 18, 2020