Advances for Active Duty Service Members

Service members can receive an advance payment for many travel related expenses during a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move.  The purpose is to assist with the out-of-pocket expenses, not typical of day-to-day military living that precedes reimbursements in a member's change of duty locations.

Advance travel payments may be authorized for the following:
  • Member and dependent travel
  • Dislocation Allowance (DLA)
  • Personally Procured Moves (PPM) / Do It Yourself Moves (DITY)
The amount of the advance will depend on a number of factors, such as distance between the old and new permanent duty stations weight of household goods, member's rank, whether the member is using their government travel card on their PCS, etc.  Member and dependent travelers can get up to 80% of per diem and mileage allowance if the government travel card is not being used, DLA equal to 100% of the anticipated entitlement, and PPM / DITY moves get an amount calculated by their transportation office.

Advances are paid within 10 days of the travel start date on your orders for PPM / DITY moves.  You must submit your travel claim within 5 days of arriving at your new duty location, and your claim must include advance payments previously processed.  Failure to do so can result in a debt to the government and possibly payroll deductions.  Your DMPO will answer specific entitlement questions and assist with completing your travel voucher package.
Page updated December 19. 2013.