1. DFAS Home
  2. PCS Travel
  3. Entitlements
  4. Advances for Separated and Retired Members

Advances when Separating or Retiring

Service members can get an advance payment to assist with out-of-pocket travel related expenses incurred during a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move.

Advance travel payments may be authorized for the following:
  • Member and dependent travel per diem
  • Member and dependent transportation expenses
  • Personally Procured Moves (PPM) / Do It Yourself Moves (DITY)

The amount depends on a number of factors, such as distance between the old duty station and new residence, weight of household goods, member's rank, etc. You can get up to 80% of the anticipated entitlement for your per diem and mileage allowance. Plus, advance amount calculated by your transportation office for PPM / DITY moves.

PCS advance is paid no sooner than 10 days before your sign out date. PPM/DITY move advance is paid no later than 45 days before the date in Block 8b on your DD 2875.
Within five days after arriving at your new residence, you must submit your travel claim. You must include the amount of any advance payments previously processed. Failure to do so can result in a debt to the government and possibly payroll deductions.
Page updated December 19, 2013.