1. DFAS Home
  2. PCS Travel
  3. Entitlements
  4. Renewal Agreement Travel

Renewal Agreement Travel

How to complete DD 1351-2
Other PCS Entitlements
DD1351-2 Voucher Checklist House Hunting Trip (HHT) Misc Exp Allowance (MEA)
Frequently Asked Questions En Route Travel Real Estate/Unexpired Lease Allow
Conversion Rates Mvmt/Storage of Goods Relocation Income Tax Allow (RITA)
Guidance for DoDEA Employees POV Shipment within CONUS En Route Travel to/from OCONUS

Temp Qrtrs Subsistence Exp (TQSE) POV Shipment Pick-up/Drop-off Exp

Renewal Agreement Travel
(Joint Travel Regulation (JTR), para. C7010)

An employee and eligible accompanying dependents may receive travel and transportation allowances for returning home between OCONUS tours of duty.

To be eligible for these allowances prior to departure from the OCONUS PDS, an employee must:

1. Have satisfactorily completed the prescribed tour of duty
2. Have entered into a new written agreement for another tour of duty at an OCONUS PDS; (the new agreement covers cost incident to travel to the employee's actual residence or alternate location, return and any additional cost paid by the government as a result of the employee's transfer to another OCONUS PDS at the time of the tour RAT)
3. (For Hawaii or Alaska) be eligible under JTR, pars. C7010-C and C7010-D.

Eligible employee and dependents are authorized transportation (including to from common carrier terminals) to the employee's actual residence at the time of the assignment to the OCONUS PDS. When Alaska and Hawaii are involved, the return must be to a PDS in the same state as the PDS at which the employee served immediately prior to RAT. An employee may travel alone or with dependents. Dependents may travel unaccompanied but cannot perform round trip travel under renewal agreement authority if the employee does not perform (or has already performed) authorized RAT. Unaccompanied dependents must not be allowed to start RAT beyond 6 months after the date the employee begins travel, except for teachers (JTR, par. C7010-P).

Per diem is authorized, during the allowable RAT travel periods between the OCONUS PDS and the authorized RAT destination. No per diem is authorized for the employee's dependents incident to RAT when the employee returns to the same OCONUS PDS for duty. However, when the employee is to report to a different OCONUS PDS for duty, after leave, per diem is allowable for dependents while en route, limited to the constructed time by the usual transportation mode and route directly between old and new OCONUS duty stations.

Where to submit your Renewal Agreement Travel (RAT) claim 
After RAT is performed submit the following by fax to one of these numbers:
Commercial: 216-367-3422
DSN: 580-7833

Voucher submissions:
1. DD Form 1351-2: Be sure to include appropriate signatures/dates and completed round trip itinerary.
2. DD Form 1614, Travel Authorization, including any amendments.
3. Itinerary of air schedule to include the transportation cost, receipt.
4. Receipt for any taxi or transportation expense to/from the airport, of $75 or more.

back to top

Instructions for completing a DD Form 1351-2 for Renewal Agreement Travel (RAT)

Block 1: Payment
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is mandatory absent a waiver from your agency. You may submit a SF 1199, DD 2762, or other documentation as long as it contains the following to ensure payment is properly transferred to your account:
a. The Traveler's name
b. The Traveler's SSN
c. The Traveler's address
d. The routing number
e. The account number
f. Whether the account is Checking or Savings

Split Disbursment when available requires an "x" in the block requesting it and the dollar amount to be sent to the Government Travel Card. If reimbursement is less than the amount requested, then the whole reimbursement would be sent to the Government Travel Card.

Block 2: Name: Last name, first name, and middle initial of Employee.
Block 3: Grade of the Employee.
Block 4: Social Security Number of Employee.
Block 5: Indicate "PCS" and "Member/Employee" - for employee only.
Indicate "PCS", Member/Employee", Dependent(s) - for employee and dependents.
Indicate "PCS" and "TDY' - for TDY enroute.
Indicate "PCS", "Dependent(s)" - for dependent(s) travel only.
Blocks 6a-6d: Valid mailing address for receipt of advice of payment.
Block 6e: Valid e-mail address.
Block 7: Daytime telephone number in the event DFAS Rome should need to make contact.
Block 8: Order number which is listed on the orders or amendments, (See DD Form 1614 Block 25), provided to the employee.
Block 9: List any and all previous payments paid from any finance office pertaining to the travel period being claimed. List "0.00" if you have not received any payments and "?" if you are not certain.
Block 10: Do Not Use - Leave Blank.
Block 11: Employee's new duty station address where employee is being assigned. (See DD Form 1614 Block 8).
Blocks 12-14: Dependent(s): If you have moved dependents from duty station to home or record (HOR) and back, then follow steps on the next page to complete this portion.
*** Note: Mark "accompanied" if family traveled with employee or "unaccompanied" if family is traveling separate from the employee (i.e., employee is already at the PCS location). If employee only is traveling, then mark "unaccompanied."
Block 12a: List last name, first name, and middle initial of all dependents.
Block 12b: List the relationship to the employee.
Block 12c: List the date of birth of dependent children and date of marriage for spouse.
Block 13: List the address where dependents were residing at time PCS orders were received.
Block 14: Indicate whether household goods have been shipped.
Block 15: Itinerary
a: Date: List the year the travel was conducted. Next to "DEP" list the date organization/residence was departed (e.g., 06/1). Next to "ARR" list the date arrived at a
location for Authorized Delay enroute or new PDS if travel was performed the same day. Next to "DEP" list the date departed for next stage of trip. Next to "ARR" list the date arrived at your New Permanent Duty Station.
b: Place: Ensure all places where you changed modes of transportation, departed a country or arrived in a country are included.
c: Means/Modes of Travel: List the type of transportation used for each leg of travel using the appropriate two letter code.
d: Reason for Stop: List the reason for stops using the appropriate two letter code.
e: Lodging Cost: List any lodging expense incurred while en route. In the case of Renewal Agreement Travel when an overnight stop is incurred a memorandum from the TMO office clearly indicating overnight stops are required and why would is required. (List any Tax for Lodging in Block 18)
f: POC (Privately Owned Conveyance) Miles: Insert actual miles driven.
Block 16: POC Travel: If a privately owned conveyance was used, then you must indicate whether POC is Own/Operator or Passenger. If you are claiming mileage for an authorized POC driven to / from a terminal, then annotate Own/Operator.
Block 17: Indicate the total duration of travel.
Block 18: Reimbursable Expenses:
a: List the date the expense was incurred.
b: List the type of expense (i.e., taxi fares).
c: List the amount of the expense.
Block 19: Does not apply to Civilian Permanent Change of Station claims unless TDY was performed within the travel to or from the Home of Record during Renewal Agreement Travel In such a case note in:
a: Date the meals were provided.
b: Number of meals provided by the government with no cost to the traveler.
** Note: If the meal was furnished at cost, circle Government. If the meal was furnished without cost, circle Deductible. If both Government and Deductible meals were provided; indicate "Ded" or " Gov" next to the number of meals.
Block 20: Claimant Signature and Date: (a & b): Physical signature of traveler and date the voucher was signed. Both must be complete. The member signs all PCS claims.
Block 20: Supervisor/Reviewer and Date: All parts (20c, 20d, 20e, & 20f) must be completed. Check with your order issuing agency in case your claim is to be forwarded for review before submission to DFAS Rome.
Block 21: (If applicable) Handwritten name and signature of approving officer if authorizing expenses not listed on original order.
Note: Approving officer must list additional expenses authorized in block 29 and must include date signed in Block 21d.
Block 22: Leave Blank - Finance Office use only.
Blocks 23-28: Leave Blank - Finance Office use only.
Block 29: Used to clarify anything out of the ordinary, such as:
Indicate any and all leave periods during TDY.
Clarify any additional travel-related issues.
Reflect exchange rates when working with foreign currency.
List/explain any additional expense authorized after the fact
by the AO.

back to top

View the sample form below then download the DD Form 1351-2 to get started!


back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I am eligible to receive an allowance for overseas tour renewal travel?
You are eligible to receive an allowance for overseas tour renewal travel if:
(a) You are on an overseas assignment, and you have completed your tour of duty and satisfactorily completed your service agreement time period; and
(b) You are on an overseas assignment and you have signed a new service agreement to remain at your overseas post or to transfer to another overseas post of duty; or
(c) You meet the requirements and are eligible for tour renewal travel from Alaska or Hawaii

Will I be reimbursed if I travel to another overseas location (instead of the U.S.)?
If you travel to another overseas location (instead of the U.S.), you will be reimbursed only if your actual residence is within that country in which you are taking your leave, and then you will only be reimbursed your authorized travel and transportation expenses. You will have to pay any expense(s) above your authorized amount.

If I travel to another place in the U.S. (other than my actual place of residence) am I required to spend time at my actual place of residence to receive reimbursement?
No, you are not required to spend time at your actual place of residence to receive reimbursement if you travel to another place in the U.S. (other than your actual place of residence).

Is there a limit on how many times I may receive reimbursement for tour renewal travel?
(a) If you are stationed in a foreign area or in an area other than Alaska or Hawaii, your agency may reimburse you for one overseas tour renewal trip for each time you complete your service agreement, which is related to your post of duty.
(b) For recruiting and retention purposes of consecutive tours served within Alaska and Hawaii, your agency may reimburse you a maximum of two round trips which must begin within five years after the date of your first tour.

back to top

Regulatory Links

Defense Travel Management Office 
Travel Regulation
Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) 
Joint Travel Regulation (JTR) 
Financial Management Regulation, Volume 9: Travel Policy and Procedures
Government Sponsored Travel Card

Updated March 3, 2011