1. DFAS Home
  2. PCS Travel
  3. Entitlements
  4. Movement and Storage of Household Goods

Movement and Storage of Household Goods

How to complete DD Form 1351-2
Other PCS Entitlements
DD1351-2 Voucher Checklist House Hunting Trip (HHT) Real Estate/Unexpired Lease Allow
Frequently Asked Questions En Route Travel Relocation Income Tax Allow (RITA)
Conversion Rates POV Shipment within CONUS En Route Travel to/from OCONUS
  Temp Qrtrs Subsistence Exp (TQSE) Renewal Agreement Travel (RAT)
  Misc Exp Allowance (MEA) POV Shipment Pick-up/Drop-off Exp

Movement and Storage of Household Goods (HHG)
Joint Travel Regulation (JTR), Chapter 5, Part D (paras. C5150-C5195)
The maximum weight allowance of HHG that may be shipped or stored at government expense is 18,000 pounds net weight. For uncrated or van line shipments, a 2,000 pound allowance is added to the 18,000 pounds net weight allowance to cover packing materials for the shipment.  In no case may a shipment weigh over 20,000 gross pounds (the 18,000 pounds net weight of the uncrated HHG plus the 2,000 pound allowance for packing materials).  The relocating employee is responsible for reimbursing the government for all costs incurred if the shipment is overweight.  There are two methods of shipping HHG:

1. Actual Expense Method / Government Bill of Lading (GBL)
2. Commuted Rate Schedule (CRS)

Commuted Rate is NOT an option for a move involving a location Outside the Continental United States (OCONUS). Before any PCS authorization is issued for a CONUS to CONUS PCS move, a cost comparison must be done between the actual expense (GBL) and commuted rate methods of shipping HHG.

In the event the estimated cost under one method exceeds the estimated cost under the other method by more than $100, the more economical method must be used. Your travel authorization must state authorization of one of the above-mentioned (GBL or Commuted Rate) methods. You have one year from your report date to complete your HHG shipment.

Note: If your effective date of transfer was before 1 August 2011, you have two years to execute your entitlement.  If your effective date of transfer was 1 August 2011 or later, the time to execute the entitlement is reduced to one year.

Note: The certified weight of goods moved MUST be obtained from the mover. (When loading a rental or personal vehicle you must show the vehicle weight both before and after the household goods are loaded.) The weight tickets are necessary to show proof of the Gross weight (total weight of goods loaded plus truck weight), Tare weight (weight of truck without goods), and Net weight (weight after deduction of tare weight - goods loaded on truck minus the weight of the truck). Itemized paid receipts are also required for proper reimbursement.

Actual Expense/GBL
When actual expense/GBL is authorized, you are responsible for contacting the appropriate transportation office (usually the closest military facility) to make arrangements for packing, moving and unpacking. The government assumes the responsibility for selecting the moving company and pays transportation vouchers directly to the carriers. You do not file a voucher with the paying travel office; however, you must provide a copy of the GBL for tax purposes to the paying travel office if there is storage over 30 days.

If you choose to personally arrange to move the HHG in lieu of using the authorized GBL, you may only be reimbursed for the actual incurred expenses (i.e., boxes, packing tape, rental truck, gas, etc.) not to exceed what the GBL shipment cost would have been. Keep a copy of all receipts for related expenses in addition to proof of weight, for payment consideration.

Commuted Rate Schedule (CRS)
When CRS is authorized, you may choose to move the HHG yourself, or hire a commercial mover to do so. The "Commuted Rate Schedule for Transportation and Storage of Household Goods," as published by the General Services Administration (GSA), is used in determining reimbursement (See JTR, par. C5160-D4).

Helpful Hints
The government does not reimburse you for Additional Valuation Charges (extra insurance). Also, be a watchdog for the U.S. Government! If you think your mover is attempting to cheat the government, report the mover to the legal office of your old duty station.

The following items may not be shipped as HHG (for a complete listing see JTR, Appendix A):
1. Motor vehicles, boats that cannot be fitted into a van (whether or not actually shipped by van), airplanes, mobile homes, camper trailers, and farming vehicles
2. Live animals, birds, fish, and reptiles
3. Cordwood and building materials
4. Property for resale, disposal, or commercial use rather than for use by the employee or immediate family
5. Privately owned live ammunition
6. Hazardous articles including explosives, flammable and corrosive materials, poisons, etc.

In addition, carrier tariffs may prohibit the shipment of the following:
1. Articles that cannot be taken from the premises without damage to the article or the premises
2. Perishable articles including frozen foods, articles requiring refrigeration, or perishable plants

Note: Irreplaceable items and articles with high monetary or sentimental value are not provided special security. You are advised to personally transport these items.

Note: The total amount that may be paid or reimbursed by the government for a PCS HHG shipment cannot exceed the cost of transporting the property in one lot by the most economical route from the last permanent duty station of the transferring employee to the new permanent station or the actual residence (as appropriate).

Note: Shipment of HHG is limited to those owned by you and your dependents when shipment or storage begins (whichever comes first).

As to storage of HHG, you may need to store all, or a portion, of your HHG before you move into a permanent residence at the new duty station. Temporary storage should not exceed 60 days (CONUS-CONUS) and 90 days (to/from OCONUS) unless the employee requests (in writing) an additional period, NTE 90 days, that is authorized/approved by a Service/Defense AGENCY designated official.  Under no circumstances may a Service/Agency authorize/approve SIT at GOV'T expense for CONUS to CONUS shipments exceeding a total of 150 days (CONUS) or 180 days (to/from OCONUS).  If no additional storage is authorized/approved, the employee is financially responsible for additional storage expense.

Where to submit your HHG Shipment/Storages claim
Submit the following by fax to one of these numbers:
Commercial: 216-367-3422
DSN: 580-7833

Voucher Submission:
1. DD Form 1351-2: Be sure to include appropriate signatures and dates.
2. A copy of the Travel Authorization/DD Form 1614 including amendments.
3. Proof of gross, tare and net weight (original or certified copy).
4. Paid commercial bill of lading if moved by a commercial mover or paid rental truck receipt if a personally procured move. Itemized receipts incurred by the move.
5. Government cost construction memo from your transportation office
6. Paid storage receipts showing dates, where stored, and rates billed.
7. Indicate advances received in block 9 on the DD Form 1351-2 or provide advance payment paperwork.

Transportation of Mobile Homes (JTR, Chapter 5 (pars. C5250-C5297)
When you are authorized movement of HHG, you may be authorized transportation of a mobile home for use as a residence in lieu of HHG shipment. You must certify that the mobile home is for use as a residence for you and/or your immediate family at the destination.

Transportation is authorized via the following methods:
1. Commercial Transporter
2. Government Bill of Lading (GBL)
3. Other than by commercial or GBL [i.e., towed by a privately owned conveyance (POC)]

At the time you pay the carrier's bill ensure the bill itemizes all charges. Reimbursement is authorized for:

1. Carrier's charges for actual mobile home transportation (NTE the applicable tariff for such movements approved by an appropriate regulatory body)
2. Ferry fares; bridge, road and tunnel tolls; taxes; permits required by a state or municipal authority
3. Charges for a pilot car or escort services when required by state law
4. Costs generally associated with preparing a mobile home for movement and resettling the mobile home at destination (Listed in the JTR)

Reimbursement is not authorized for:
1. Maintenance and repairs en route
2. Insurance for valuation of mobile homes above carrier's maximum
3. Special handling costs requested by the employee 
4. Costs of connecting/disconnecting appliances, equipment and utilities
5. Storage

Note: You should make sure the mobile home is in good condition before transporting it, especially the body, frame, springs and wheels. Do not overload the mobile home; this could result in damage and repair charges, which are not reimbursable.

Upon your written agreement to pay any excess costs involved, the government arranges for transportation of your mobile home, and pays all costs related to pickup, transportation and delivery to destination ready for occupancy. Allowable costs include charges for actual transportation; ferry fares; bridge, road, and tunnel tolls; taxes; and municipal and/or state permits.

Movement by Other Means
When a mobile home is towed by a POC, an allowance of $.11 per mile is made for transportation costs in addition to any applicable POC PCS MALT allowance. In addition, the DoD component concerned pays the costs for preparing the mobile home for movement and resettling it at the destination.

Reimbursement Limitation
Transportation of a mobile home shall not exceed what it would have cost the government to ship and store for 90 days the maximum weight of HHG for which the employee is eligible.

Where to submit your Mobile Home Shipment (Other than by GBL) claim
To file a voucher for Mobile Home Shipment, submit the following by fax to one of these  numbers:
Commercial: 216-367-3422
DSN: 580-7833

Voucher Submission:
1. DD Form 1351-2 with appropriate signatures and dates.
2. DD Form 1614, Travel Authorization, including any amendments.
3. If transported by commercial carrier, the commercial carrier's receipted bill or a copy certified by the employee as a true copy.
4. Certification that the mobile home was transported for use as a residence.
5. Certification as to the date of acquisition of the mobile home.
6. Annotate advances received block 9 on the DD Form 1351-2 or provide advance payment paperwork.

back to top

Instructions for completing a DD Form 1351-2 for Movement and Storage of Household Goods (HHG)

Block 1: PAYMENT
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is mandatory absent a waiver
from your agency. You may submit a DD 2762 or other
documentation as long as it contains the following to ensure payment
is properly transferred to your account:
a. The Traveler's name
b. The Traveler's SSN
c. The Traveler's address
d. The routing number
e. The account number
f. Whether the account is Checking or Savings

Split Disbursement when available requires an "x" in the block requesting it and the dollar amount to be sent to the Government travel Card. If reimbursement is less than the amount requested, then the whole reimbursement would be sent to the Government Travel Card.

Block 2: Last name, first name, and middle initial of employee.
Block 3: Grade of the employee.
Block 4: Social Security Number of employee.
Block 5: Indicate "PCS" and "Member/Employee" - for employee only.
Indicate "PCS," Member/Employee," Dependent(s) - for employee and dependents.
Indicate "PCS" and "TDY" - for TDY en-route.
Indicate "PCS," "Dependent(s)" - for dependent(s) travel only.
Blocks 6a-6d: Valid mailing address for receipt of advice of payment.
Block 6e: Valid e-mail address.
Block 7: Daytime telephone number in the event DFAS Rome should need to make contact.
Block 8: Order number listed on the orders or amendments, (See DD Form 1614 Block 25), provided to the employee.
Block 9: List any and all previous payments paid from any finance office pertaining to the travel period being claimed. List "0.00" if you have not received any payments and "?" if you are not certain.
Block 10: Do Not Use - Leave Blank.
Block 11: Employee's new duty station address where employee is being assigned. (See DD Form 1614 Block 8).
Blocks 12 through 17: Do not require completion with the Household Goods (HHG)
Block 18: Reimbursable Expenses:
a: List the date the HHG were moved / shipped.
b: List "Household Good Move"; on subsequent lines you can detail expenses.
c: List the amount being claimed for each expense listed in (b.).
Block 19: Does not apply to this Civilian Permanent Change of Station claim.
Block 20: Claimant Signature and Date: (a & b): Physical signature of traveler and date the voucher was signed. Both must be complete. The member signs all PCS claims.
Block 20: Supervisor/Reviewer and Date: All parts (20c, 20d, 20e, & 20f) must be completed. Check with your order issuing agency in case your claim is to be forwarded for review before submission to DFAS Rome.
Block 21: (If applicable) Handwritten name and signature of approving officer if authorizing expenses not listed on original order.

Note: Approving officer must list additional expenses authorized in block 29 and must include date signed in Block 21d.

Block 22: Leave Blank - Finance Office use only.

Blocks 23-28: Leave Blank - Finance Office use only.

Block 29: Used to clarify anything out of the ordinary, such as:
Indicate any and all leave periods during TDY.
Clarify any additional travel-related issues.
Reflect exchange rates when working with foreign currency.
List/explain any additional expense authorized after the Fact by the AO.

back to top

View the sample form then download the DD Form 1351-2 to get started!


Frequently Asked Questions

Does the weight of any professional books, papers and equipment (PBP&E) count against the 18,000 pound HHG weight limitation?
Yes, the weight on any PBP&E is generally part of and not in addition to the 18,000 pound HHG weight limitation. However, if the weight of any PBP&E causes the lot to exceed 18,000 pounds, the PBP&E may be transported to the new duty station as an administrative expense of the agency. Authorization for such shipment is granted solely at the discretion of the agency and subject to its policies governing such shipment.

May the 18,000 pound HHG weight limitation be increased if PBP&E are transported as an administrative expense to the agency?
No, the 18,000 pound HHG weight limitation is mandated by statute and cannot be exceeded. Shipments of PBP&E as an administrative expense to the agency are not subject to the HHG maximum weight allowance.

May HHG be transported or stored in more than one lot?
Household goods may be transported and stored in multiple lots, however, your maximum HHG weight allowance is based upon shipping and storing all HHG as one lot.

Are there any disadvantages to using the commuted rate method for transporting HHG, PBP&E and temporary storage?
Yes. The disadvantages to using the commuted rate method for transporting HHG, PBP&E and temporary storage are that the:
(a) Government cannot take advantage of any special rates that may be offered only to government shipments;
(b) Commuted rate method does not apply to intrastate moves; and
(c) Commuted rate method may not fully reimburse your out-of-pocket expenses.

How are charges paid and who makes the arrangements for transporting HHG, PBP&E and temporary storage under the actual expense method?
Your agency is responsible for making all the necessary arrangements for transporting HHG, PBP&E, and temporary storage, including but not limited to packing/unpacking, crating/uncrating, pickup/delivery, weighing, line-haul, etc., under the actual expense method. Your agency will issue a Bill of Lading or any other shipping document with all charges billed directly to the agency. Any cost or weight in excess of 18,000 pounds will be at your expense. If the shipment exceeds the maximum weight, the government will pay the total charges and the employee will reimburse the government for the cost of transportation and other charges applicable to the excess weight Household goods may be transported and stored in multiple lots, however, your maximum HHG weight allowance is based upon shipping and storing all HHG as one lot.

back to top

Regulatory Links

Defense Travel Management Office 
Travel Regulation
Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) 
Joint Travel Regulation (JTR) 
Financial Management Regulation, Volume 9: Travel Policy and Procedures
Government Sponsored Travel Card