En Route Travel

How to complete DD Form 1351-2
Other PCS Entitlements
DD1351-2 Voucher Checklist House Hunting Trip (HHT) Real Estate/Unexpired Lease Allow
Frequently Asked Questions Mvmt/Storage of Goods Relocation Income Tax Allow (RITA)
Conversion Rates POV Shipment within CONUS En Route Travel to/from OCONUS
  Temp Qrtrs Subsistence Exp (TQSE) Renewal Agreement Travel (RAT)
Misc Exp Allowance (MEA) POV Shipment Pick-up/Drop-off Exp

En Route Travel
Joint Travel Regulation (JTR), Volume II, paras. C5050-C5065 and C5125 (Travel to New Duty Station)

When you complete your en route travel to the new duty station and on that same day you enter into temporary quarters, eligibility for Temporary Quarters Subsistence Expense (TQSE) starts with the evening meal on that day.

PCS Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation (MALT)
For each privately owned conveyance (POC) authorized $0.235 per mile is authorized. Effective for all PCS travel beginning on or after 1 January 2014.

The JTR permits the Government to authorize you to receive travel expenses for traveling in more than two POCs to a new duty station if the circumstances are found to be "advantageous to the Government." JTR, par. C2159-C covers conditions allowing for the use of additional POCs. Travel authorizations must specifically authorize additional POCs.

Per Diem for Meals and Incidental Expenses (M&IE) and Lodging:
Per Diem is based on the lesser of the following:
1. Travel at an average distance of 350 miles per day, and if the remaining distance is 51 miles or more, per diem for an additional day is paid; however, when the total distance is 400 miles or less only 1 day of per diem is allowed (distance as determined from the Defense Table of Distance).


2. Actual travel time in full days.

Note: No per diem authorized for travel of 12 hours or less.

The daily maximum amounts allowed are as follows:

Employee or unaccompanied spouse - In the CONUS, the Standard CONUS lodging ceiling
*(based on the single room rate) and Standard CONUS M&IE rate for full days (partial days pro-rated)

Accompanied spouse and - 3/4 of Employee total dependents 12 and over

Dependent(s) under 12 - 1/2 of Employee total

Note: Itemized lodging receipts are required. Lodging is paid based on the actual cost incurred not to exceed the maximum.

Note: When lodging with a friend or relative - with or without charges - you as the traveler may be reimbursed for additional lodging costs the host incurs in accommodating you if the costs can be substantiated and the approving official (AO) determines the costs are reasonable. You may NOT be reimbursed the cost of comparable conventional lodging in the area or a flat "token" amount in this instance.

Where to submit your En Route Travel claim
File a settlement voucher within five working days of completion of each portion of travel. To file an en route travel voucher submit the following by fax to one of these numbers:
Commercial: 216-367-3422
DSN: 580-7833

Voucher Submission:
1. DD Form 1351-2: Be sure to include appropriate signatures and dates.
2. DD Form 1614, Travel Authorization, including any amendments.
3. Itemized lodging receipts (claim lodging separately from lodging taxes). Provide single lodging rates.
4. Indicate if dependent(s) travel was concurrent or delayed and if more than two POCs are authorized and used.
5. Annotate advances received in block 9 on the DD Form 1351-2 or provide advance payment paperwork.
6. Provide a detailed itinerary in block 15 showing daily travel, cities and states where lodging was obtained.
7. Mark blocks 16 and 17 on the DD Form 1351-2 as appropriate.
8. DD Form 2762- Direct Deposit Authorization or complete EFT information.

back to top

Instructions for completing a DD Form 1351-2 for En route Travel to New Duty Station

Block 1: Payment
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is mandatory absent a waiver from your agency. You may submit a DD Form 2762, or other documentation as long as it contains the following to ensure payment is properly transferred into your account.

a. The Traveler's name
b. The Traveler's SSN
c. The Traveler's address
d. The routing number
e. The account number
f. Whether the account is Checking or Savings

Split Disbursment when available requires an "x" in the block requesting it and the dollar amount to be sent to the Government Travel Card. If reimbursement is less than the amount requested, then the whole reimbursement would be sent to the Government Travel Card.

Block 2: Name: Last name, first name, and middle initial of Employee.

Block 3: Grade of the Employee.
Block 4: Social Security Number of Employee.

Block 5: Indicate "PCS" and "Member/Employee" - for employee only.
Indicate "PCS", Member/Employee", Dependent(s) - for employee and dependents.
Indicate "PCS" and "TDY' - for TDY enroute.
Indicate "PCS", "Dependent(s)" - for dependent(s) travel only.

Blocks 6a-6d: Valid mailing address for receipt of advice of payment.

Block 6e: Valid e-mail address.

Block 7: Daytime telephone number in the event DFAS Rome should need to make contact.

Block 8: Order number which is listed on the orders or amendments, (See DD Form 1614 Block 25), provided to the employee.

Block 9: List any and all previous payments paid from any finance office pertaining to the travel period being claimed. List "0.00" if you have not received any payments and "?" if you are not certain.

Block 10: Do Not Use - Leave Blank.
Block 11: Employee's new duty station address where employee is being assigned. (See DD Form 1614 Block 8).
Blocks 12-14: Dependent(s): If you have moved dependents from previous duty station or residence to new duty station, then follow steps on the next page to complete this portion

***Note: Mark "accompanied" if family traveled with employee or unaccompanied" if family is traveling separate from the employee (i.e., employee is already at the PCS location). If employee only is traveling, then mark "unaccompanied".

Block 12a: List last name, first name, and middle initial of all dependents.

Block 12b: List the relationship to the employee.
Block 12c: List the date of birth of dependent children and date of marriage for spouse.
Block 13: List the address where dependents were residing at time PCS orders were received
Block 14: Indicate whether household goods have been shipped.

Block 15: Itinerary
a: Date: List the year the travel was conducted. Next to "DEP" list the date organization/residence was departed (e.g., 06/1). Next to "ARR" list the date arrived at a location for Authorized Delay enroute or new PDS if travel was performed the same day. Next to "DEP" list the date departed for next stage of trip Next to "ARR" list the date arrived at your New Permanent Duty Station.
b: Place: Ensure all places where you changed modes of transportation, departed a country or arrived in a country re included.
c: Means/Modes of Travel: List the type of transportation used for each leg of travel using the appropriate two letter code.
d: Reason for Stop: List the reason for stops using the appropriate two letter code.
e: Lodging Cost: List any lodging expense incurred while en route. (List any Tax for Lodging in Block 18)
f: POC (Privately Owned Conveyance) Miles: Insert actual miles driven.

Block 16: POC Travel: Must indicate whether POC (Privately Owned Conveyance) is Own/Operator or Passenger. If you are claiming mileage for an authorized POC driven to the New Duty Station, then annotate Own/Operator.

Block 17: Indicate the duration of travel en route.

Block 18: Reimbursable Expenses:
a: List the date the expense was incurred.
b: List the type of expense (i.e., taxi fares).
c: List the amount of the expense.

Block 19: Does not apply to Civilian Permanent Change of Station claims unless TDY was performed within the enroute travel to the New Duty Station. In such a case note in:
a: Date the meals were provided.
b: Number of meals provided by the government with no cost to the traveler.
** Note: If the meal was furnished at cost, circle Government. If the meal was furnished without cost, circle Deductible. If both Government and Deductible meals were provided; indicate "Ded" or "Gov" next to the number of meals.

Block 20: Claimant Signature and Date: (a & b): Physical signature of traveler and date the voucher was signed. Both must be complete. The member signs all PCS claims.

Block 20: Supervisor/Reviewer and Date: Supervisory Chain of Command signature. All parts (20c, 20d, 20e, & 20f) must be completed. Check with your order issuing agency in case your claim is to be forwarded for review before submission to DFAS Rome.

Block 21: (If applicable) Handwritten name, signature and date (a, b, & d) of approving officer if authorizing expenses not listed on original order.
Note: Approving officer must list additional expenses authorized in block 29

Block 22: Leave Blank - Finance Office use only.
Blocks 23-28: Leave Blank - Finance Office use only.

Block 29: Used to clarify anything out of the ordinary, such as:
a. Indicate any and all leave periods during TDY.
b. Clarify any additional travel-related issues.
c. Reflect exchange rates when working with foreign currency.
d. List/explain any additional expense authorized after the Fact by the AO.

back to top

View the sample form below then download the DD Form 1351-2 to get started!


Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any circumstances in which a per diem allowance for my immediate family members is not allowed?
Yes, per diem for your immediate family members cannot be authorized if you are:
(a) A new appointee;
(b) Assigned to posts of duty outside CONUS returning to place of actual residence for separation; or
(c) Being relocated under the Government Employees Training Act (5 U.S.C. 4109).

If my spouse and I travel on the same days along the same general route by using more than one POV, is my spouse considered unaccompanied?
No; for per diem purposes, you and your spouse are considered to be traveling together if you travel on the same days along the same general route by using more than one POV.

If I drive from my old PDS to my new PDS, how many days will I receive per diem?
Per Diem allowance is reimbursed based on the lesser of the result of:

a.  Allowing 1 day of travel time for each 350 miles of official distance between the old and new PDS or authorized points.  If the access is 51 miles or more after dividing the total number of miles by 350, one additional day of travel is allowed.  When the total official distance is 400 miles or less, 1 day's travel time is allowed.

b.  Actual travel time in full days (e.g. 9 days and 3 hours is 10 days)

Are there exceptions to this daily minimum?
Yes, your agency may authorize exceptions to the daily minimum driving distance when there is a delay beyond your control such as acts of God, restrictions by Governmental authorities, or other acceptable reasons; e.g., a physical handicap or special needs. Your agency must have a designated approving official authorize the exception.

Does this exception require authorization by my approving official?
Yes, authorization by your approving official is required for any exception to the number of authorized travel days.

back to top

Regulatory Links

Defense Travel Management Office 
Travel Regulation
Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) 
Joint Travel Regulation (JTR) 
Financial Management Regulation, Volume 9: Travel Policy and Procedures
Government Sponsored Travel Card