Frequently Asked Questions
Army: Help with secondary dependency claimsSubmitting an initial or redetermination package for secondary dependency can involve a lot of work to compile the documents and information required. The following information is provided to help you with the process.
- Sample Medical Sufficiency Letter: You can provide this sample letter to your child's caregivers to explain what information is needed in the letter they write on behalf of your incapacitated child.
- Expenses Breakdown: Use our worksheet to help you determine your claimed dependent's monthly household, personal and educational expenses.
- Help with completing DD Form 137 series (3, 5, 6 or 7):
- Original documents are NOT required; legible copies are sufficient
- Only one form is required when applying for both BAH and USIP/ID card entitlements at the same time.
- Include all supporting documents listed under the BAH section and USIP/ID card section with the form.
- All forms must be filled out completely; if a block does not apply, put “N/A” – failure to do so will result in the application being returned without action.
- Mark “X” for benefits you are claiming – BAH, USIP card and/or travel
- Mark “X” (Yes or No) if first application – If no, give date of last application
- Member’s address – where you live. Also provide mailing address if different
- Phone – identify as commercial or DSN
- Email address, if available
- Claimed dependent’s name and address of employer – answer completely
- Claimed parent and his/her spouse live apart – provide complete reason parent’s spouse does not support your claimed parent.
- List both name and address of owner of the dwelling where the claimed dependent lives
- Persons living where claimed dependent lives – list all residing in that unit including the claimed dependent
- Household expenses – all expenses for the entire household are required for the claimed dependents’ residence, not just the claimed dependent’s share
- Personal expenses – List all expenses of the claimed dependent regardless of who pays for them. (See expenses breakdown for information specific to each expense type.)
- Income – List all income and monetary support received by dependent from any source other than from yourself.
- Remarks – identify the block number from the form the remarks relate to
- Signatures/Notaries – make sure all signatures are completed. All forms with notary blocks MUST be notarized; failure to have the documents notarized will result in return of the application without action. The notary signature relates to the signature of the dependent or guardian.
Avoid common mistakes
- Illegible or incomplete application package
- Type or print, legibly, on all forms
- Ensure you read the printed instructions carefully and completely
- All blocks on the various forms must be completed or marked N/A to ensure nothing is missed
- Missing forms/documentation
- DD Form 1172-2 required and must be signed by the sponsor when applying for a USIP/ID card.
- Proof of member’s support for BAH requests. If dependent does not reside with member, proof of support is required. A dependent support allotment, cancelled checks, money order receipts, electronic transfer receipts are acceptable proofs of support. Additional proof of support documentation is provided under Army required documents by claim type
- Unacceptable documents for proof of support are ATM withdrawal receipts, bank statements showing withdrawals, bank statements showing joint account between soldier and dependent.
- Relationship documents – the complete chain to prove relationship to the member (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.)
- Medical statement (incapacitated child, DD Form 137-5) must be signed by a licensed medical doctor. Not acceptable - psychologist, nurse, nurse practitioner, medical assistant, social worker etc.
- Guardianship document (ward of the court) – from court in the US or US possessions only stating that the custody/guardianship is for at least 12 consecutive months. The ward must live in the member’s household unless there are exigencies of service.
- Verification of student full-time enrollment from an accredited college or university – must state the date of enrollment, enrolled as a full time student, seeking a degree and an expected graduation
Submit completed dependency packages to:Mail:
8899 E 56th St
Indianapolis IN 46249-0885
8899 E 56th St
Indianapolis IN 46249-0885
Toll Free Number: 1-888-332-7411FAX: 317-275-0282
Email: DependencyDetermination@DFAS.mil Page updated Aug. 22, 2013