1. DFAS Home
  2. PCS Travel
  3. Entitlements
  4. En Route Travel to/from OCONUS

En Route Travel to/from OCONUS

How to complete DD 1351-2
Other PCS Entitlements
DD1351-2 Voucher Checklist House Hunting Trip (HHT) Misc Exp Allowance (MEA)
Frequently Asked Questions En Route Travel Real Estate/Unexpired Lease Allow
Conversion Rates Mvmt/Storage of Goods Relocation Income Tax Allow (RITA)
  POV Shipment within CONUS Renewal Agreement Travel (RAT)
Temp Qrtrs Subsistence Exp (TQSE) POV Shipment Pick-up/Drop-off Exp

Allowances for PCS to or from OCONUS
CONUS allowances are governed by the Joint Travel Regulations Vol. 2. and processed by the CONUS travel payment office. The Department of State Standardized Regulations (DSSR) governs some allowances (e.g., Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance Living Quarters Allowance) for Permanent Changes of Station (PCS) to OCONUS. Those are processed by the servicing payroll office and/or the servicing finance office overseas.

Note: There may be exceptions to this when individuals are PCSing to isolated or certain overseas locations, i.e. where there is no servicing finance office.

Instructions for completing a DD Form 1351-2 for En route Travel to New Duty Station

Block 1: Payment
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is mandatory absent a waiver from your agency. You may submit a SF 1199, DD 2762, or other documentation as long as it contains the following to ensure payment is properly transferred to your account:
a. Traveler's name
b. Traveler's SSN
c. Traveler's address
d. Routing number
e. Account number
f. Whether the account is checking or savings

Split Disbursment
When available requires an "x" in the block requesting it and the dollar amount to be sent to the Government Travel Card. If reimbursement is less than the amount requested, then the whole reimbursement would be sent to the Government Travel Card.

Block 2: Last name, first name, and middle initial of employee.
Block 3: Grade of the employee.
Block 4: Social Security Number of employee.
Block 5: Indicate "PCS" and "Member/Employee" - for employee only.
Indicate "PCS," "Member/Employee," Dependent(s) - for employee and dependents.
Indicate "PCS" and "TDY" - for TDY enroute.
Indicate "PCS," "Dependent(s)" - for dependent(s) travel only.
Blocks 6a-6d: Valid mailing address for receipt of advice of payment.
Block 6e: Valid e-mail address.
Block 7: Daytime telephone number in the event DFAS Rome should need to make contact.
Block 8: Order number listed on the orders or amendments (See DD Form 1614 Block 25) provided to the employee.
Block 9: List any and all previous payments paid from any finance office pertaining to the travel period being claimed. List "0.00" if you have not received any payments and "?" if you are not certain.
Block 10: Do not use - Leave blank.
Block 11: Employee's new duty station address where employee is being assigned. (See DD Form 1614 Block 8).
Blocks 12-14: Dependent(s): If you have moved dependents from previous duty station or residence to new duty station, then follow steps on the next page to complete this portion. ***Note: Mark "accompanied" if family traveled with employee or "unaccompanied" if family is traveling separate from the employee (i.e., employee is already at the PCS location). If employee only is traveling, then mark "unaccompanied."
Block 12a: Last name, first name, and middle initial of all dependents.
Block 12b: List the relationship to the employee.
Block 12c: Date of birth of dependent children and date of marriage for spouse.
Block 13: Address where dependents were residing at time PCS orders were received.
Block 14: Indicate whether household goods have been shipped.
Block 15: Itinerary
a: Date: List the year the travel was conducted.
Next to "DEP" list the date organization/residence was departed (e.g., 06/1).
Next to "ARR" list the date arrived at a location for Authorized Delay enroute or new PDS if travel was performed the same day.
Next to "DEP" list the date departed for next stage of trip.
Next to "ARR" list the date arrived at your New Permanent Duty Station.
b: Place: Ensure all places where you changed modes of transportation, departed a country or arrived in a country are included.
c: Means/Modes of Travel: List the type of transportation used for each leg of travel using the appropriate two letter code.
d: Reason for Stop: List the reason for stops using the appropriate two letter code.
e: Lodging Cost: List any lodging expense incurred while en route. (List any Tax for Lodging in Block 18)
f: POC (Privately Owned Conveyance) Miles: Insert actual miles driven.
Block 16: POC Travel: Must indicate whether Privately Owned Conveyance (POC) is Own/Operator or Passenger. If you are claiming mileage for an authorized POC driven to the New Duty Station, then annotate Own/Operator.
Block 17: Indicate the duration of travel en route.
Block 18: Reimbursable Expenses:
a: List the date the expense was incurred.
b: List the type of expense (i.e., taxi fares).
c: List the amount of the expense.
Block 19: Does not apply to Civilian Permanent Change of Station claims unless TDY was performed within the en-route travel to the New Duty Station.
In such a case note in:
a: Date the meals were provided.
b: Number of meals provided by the government with no cost to the traveler.
** Note: If the meal was furnished at cost, circle Government. If the meal was furnished without cost, circle Deductible. If both Government
and Deductible meals were provided; indicate "Ded" or "Gov" next to the number of meals.
Block 20: Claimant Signature and Date: (a & b): Physical signature of traveler and date the voucher was signed. Both must be complete. The member signs all PCS claims.
Block 20: Supervisor/Reviewer and Date: All parts (20c, 20d, 20e, & 20f) must be completed. Check with your order issuing agency in case your claim is to be forwarded for review before submission to DFAS Rome.
Block 21: (If applicable) Handwritten name and signature of approving officer if authorizing expenses not listed on original order.
Note: Approving officer must list additional expenses authorized in block 29 and must include date signed in Block 21d.
Block 22: Leave Blank - Finance Office use only.
Blocks 23-28: Leave Blank - Finance Office use only.
Block 29: Used to clarify anything out of the ordinary, such as:
Indicate any and all leave periods during TDY.
Clarify any additional travel-related issues.
Reflect exchange rates when working with foreign currency.
List/explain any additional expense authorized after the Fact by the AO.

back to top

View the sample form below then download the DD Form 1351-2 to get started!


Frequently Asked Questions

What are my possible allowances when moving overseas?
In addition to your travel, and that of your dependents, if applicable, the personnel office issuing the PCS travel authorization determines which of the following you may be authorized:
a. FTA - Foreign Transfer Allowance up to 10 days stateside prior to departure (DSSR)
b. TQSA - Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance is a State Department allowance after arriving OCONUS, similar to TQSE in CONUS (DSSR)
c. TQSE - when PCSing to CONUS, it can be utilized upon vacating the OCONUS or CONUS residence while waiting for HHG to be shipped, and continued upon arrival in CONUS (JTR)
d. Advance of pay (salary) issued by the servicing payroll office (DSSR)
e. POV shipment for one vehicle if advantageous to the government (JTR)
f. HHG shipment via GBL (or actual expense NTE GBL) (JTR)
g. Passport and visa fees, cost of birth certificates, currency conversion fees, travel related check cashing fees, and charges for inoculations which cannot be obtained through a federal dispensary (JTR)

How do I get an advance?
When going overseas, an advance of pay (on DSSR Allowances) may be requested from the servicing payroll activity after the travel authorization is received. Your servicing personnel office should assist you in completing a SF 1190 for this purpose. When returning from overseas, request an advance (on JTR allowances) from the travel office that services the gaining station as listed on your travel authorization.

Can I be reimbursed for selling my home?
A real estate sale allowance can be paid only upon completion of the overseas tour when returning to a different United States (or non-foreign overseas location like Hawaii or Guam) location than the one from which you left.

Can I be reimbursed for a rental car while waiting for my POC to arrive?
No. See JTR, par. C5200-B.

Can I be reimbursed for taking my car to port and picking it up from port?
You may be reimbursed one-way PCS MALT to the port to drop off your POV, and the actual transportation cost to return to your PDS. When picking up a POV at port, you may receive the actual transportation cost to go to port, and PCS MALT to return to your permanent duty station. No per diem is payable.

back to top