USAJOBS and USA Staffing Application Manager
Defense Finance and Accounting Service uses the Office of Personnel Management’s USAJOBS and USA Staffing Application Manager for posting vacancies and managing online applications. As a job seeker, the most important tasks are creating your USAJOBS account and keeping your USAJOBS profile and related documents such as resumes, transcripts, veteran’s preference documents and proof of appointment eligibility current.
You may simplify your Federal job search by using your USAJOBS account to:
- Build and store up to five distinct resumes
- Store documents e.g. transcripts, veteran’s documents, etc
- Save and automate job searches by Agency, Occupation and Location
- Save and apply for jobs
- Monitor the status of your application packages
- Always read the vacancy announcement's "How to Apply" section carefully for instructions on completing an application package
- Be sure to click on related links in the vacancy announcement for additional critical information. \
- Review hints and tips on writing a good Federal resume.
- Review the valuable information, Frequently Asked Questions, fact sheets and tutorials located in the USAJOBS Resource Center to assist you in creating and managing your USAJOBS account and job search.
- Make sure that you use a unique email address when creating your USAJOBS account. The email address is used as a unique identifier so the same email address cannot be used for multiple USAJOBS accounts. Job seekers must never share USAJOBS accounts. Sharing accounts may cause you to miss consideration for jobs.
As you search for job opportunities on USAJOBS, you will see that there are two types of announcements, some are open to “All US Citizens” while others are restricted to job seekers who have some type of appointment eligibility or “Status”. The USAJOBS Resource Center provides information on appointment eligibilities or you may click here to be directed to a DFAS page. It is important to you, the job seeker, to only pursue vacancies for which you have the eligibility to apply. Equally important is to submit all of the documentation as required in the vacancy announcement to ensure you are considered for the position for which you are eligible to apply.
Once you have located a vacancy announcement on USAJOBS for which you are included in the “Who May Apply” section and meet the qualification requirements as stated in the vacancy announcement, follow the instructions below:
1. Select the "Apply Online" button at the right side of the vacancy announcement.
2. Once directed to USAJOBS either (a) sign-in to your personalized account or (b) create a new account. Remember, you must never share a USAJOBS account and the email address you use to create your account must not be one used by another job seeker to create their USAJOBS account.
3. Confirm the documents required to apply for this vacancy by clicking on the “Check the required documents” link. Select previously uploaded documents or upload required documents at this time to include in your application package.
4. Complete the three verification questions and click “Apply for this position now!” button.
5. USAJOBS will direct you to the Application Manager system. Read and accept the Terms and Conditions of Use.
6. Complete the personal information and read each question carefully to choose the appropriate response that best describes your personal background, work experience, education and status to apply. You must include a detailed description of work experience, both paid and unpaid work experience, on your resume that supports your responses to the experience questions on the assessment questionnaire.
7. Read the verification question and choose your response.
8. Although you may choose to upload documents in your Application Manager account, it is highly recommended that you maintain all of your documents in your USAJOBS and select the documents prior to clicking the “Apply for this position now!” in step 4 above. If you cannot upload your supporting documents, you may fax your supporting documents by completing this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the Vacancy ID as noted in the announcement in the “How to Apply” section. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144. You must fax your documents by 11:59 EST p.m. on the closing date of the announcement.
9. Make a final review of your application, ensuring you have all documents as requested in the vacancy announcement on USAJOBS, that your answers to the questionnaire are clearly supported by your resume, and that you have provided all the information needed.
10. Click the "Submit My Answers" button to submit your application package which includes your resume, supporting documents that you have selected and your answers to the questionnaire.
11. Monitor the status of your application package through your USAJOBS account.
You are highly encouraged to establish a USAJOBS account and submit your application package online so that you can receive status updates. If you cannot apply online follow the instructions below:
- Click the link “Occupational Questionnaire” in the vacancy announcement to view and print the assessment questionnaire.
- Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the assessment questionnaire
- Include the Vacancy ID on the 1203FX which can be located in the “How to Apply” section of the announcement
- Fax the completed 1203 FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
- You must fax your documents by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date of the announcement.
- In Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire, you may notice that the numbering restarts with number one. When entering your responses on the 1203-FX form please continue to enter your responses on the next available number within this section. The numbers on the 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire once it restarts with number one. This issue has been identified and will be resolved as soon as possible.
- When completing the 1203-FX, be sure to select only one response for each question. Selecting more than one response for a question may result in your application package being rated ineligible.